Welcome to West Chester's newsroom. The department of Integrated Multimedia & Marketing is committed to sharing important news with the West Chester community and the media.
West Chester's public information team is prepared to respond to requests for information and work within tight deadlines to support our local media organizations.. Working with the media is critical to successful communication with the general public. West Chester's communications team works with the media to ensure accuracy and transparency in a responsive manner. Please contact us first for information or to schedule an interview with a subject expert from our team of professional public servants. Media contact.
Choosing the right heating source for your home
Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths and as temperatures turn colder, homeowners will often seek alternative heating options to supplement and/or replace the traditional heating system provided as part of the home.
West Chester experiences several chimney fires each winter season, and while fortunately no injuries typically result the potential exists for loss of property and lives. Chimneys should be professionally inspected and cleaned annually to ensure they are safe.
Additional recommendations, include:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, including furnace, fireplace, wood stove and portable heaters;
- Have a three-foot "kid free zone" around open fires and space heaters;
- Never use the oven to heat the house;
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to local codes and manufacturer's instructions;
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed;
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters;
- Test smoke alarms monthly.