The AARP Tax-Aide program has been shut down in response to the COVID-19 outbreak in order to minimize risk to seniors. Program organizers have provided instructions regarding taxes and how to move forward with 2019 returns.
Seniors are encouraged to visit the Butler Warren AARP website for more information.
Filing a 2019 Tax Return
The filing and payment deadline for tax year 2019 is July 15, 2020 for both Federal and Ohio taxes. Do not depend on Tax-Aide opening in time for this deadline.
If you have not filed your 2019 return, some options include:
- File an extension using Form 4868. Remember, this only extends the deadline to file, not the deadline to pay, and you'll be required to file by October 15, 2020. Again, it is uncertain whether Tax-Aide will reopen by this time.
- File your own return via the IRS free file website and Ohio free file website.
- Contact a paid tax preparer.
- Wait until the Tax-Aide program is reopen, which could be in February 2021. This is an option for those who:
- have no need to file,
- owe no tax to the IRS or Ohio,
- expect to get a refund,
- or even those who will owe a small amount and can afford to pay a small up-charge for interest and penalty.
Please note seniors with ACA insurance or sold stock may not be able to wait to file until next year.
For complete information and answers to frequently asked questions about the Stimulus Bill and the economic impact of payments, please visit butlerwarrenaarp.as.me/schedule.php.